Friday, October 18, 2013

Glacial Trail 50

The Glacial Trail 50 is a 50 mile (50K option also) trail ultramarathon race on the Ice Age Trail in the Northern Kettle Moraine Forest segment. This trail is about 20 minutes away from my house and where I do most of my training. The start of the race is about 25 minutes away in Greenbush. It's a very low-key and well run event. My first 50 mile race was this event last year. Jeff would not be joining me this year but he did volunteer at the Mauthe Lake Aid Station so I saw him twice there.

The race started at 6am. I got to the start about 20 minutes beforehand. I picked up my bib and sweatshirt (which is a nice change from the typical tech shirt) and then went back to sit in the car for a bit to preserve my energy before the race began. The weather for the day was forecast to be perfect and it was: mostly sunny and 40-60 degrees.

The race starts on the road for about a half mile as you make your way from the Greenbush fire station to a connector trail (Old Wade House trail) that takes you to the rolling hills and rocky and rooty terrain of the Ice Age Trail. The falling leaves this time of year make the rocks and roots even more challenging. But I'm used to it my now and didn't fall at all. I did hit my big toe on a rock towards the end of the run that hurt quite a bit though (and still hurts).

I started out at a nice and easy pace. I talked to a guy for several miles that was really interesting. He is a crew medic for elite-level runners that do big-name events like Western States, Bad Water, and HURT. While he's never had the opportunity to run those amazing events himself, he has crewed for runners that did do them which is the next best thing. He does run some tough races himself, including Sawtooth, which Jeff and I were thinking about doing next year. But after talking to him about it I think we might wait a couple years to try that one.

After awhile I was alone again so I turned on the iPod and just did my thing. As for eating and drinking I was wearing a belt with two bottles (totaling 1.2 liters of water), 3 gels, and 4 packs of chomps. After struggling at the Marquette Tral 50 with a single water bottle I decided that 2 bottles (or the cambelback) were necessary for races that don't have an Aid Station every 4 miles (like Ice Age Trail 50 does). I was right about the 2 bottles. During the last 25 miles I had to refill them at every AS.

I started with the gels after about an hour and a half of running. I don't like to eat or drink too early because it can give me an upset stomach. But after a couple hours my stomach settles in and gets used to the running and generally holds up pretty well for the rest of the run. I ate the 3 gels over the next couple of hours and then switched to the chomps. 1 chomp equates to about 1/4 of a gel so they are good for continuous energy when you take them every 10-15 minutes or as needed. I didn't eat anything at the Aid Stations until the very last one and that was just a couple bites of a PB&J sandwich. I did drink 2 cups of Coke at each AS after mile 20. I also switched from filling the water bottles with water to HEED after about mile 30. Looking back on the day I realize I should have eaten something plain or salty from the AS earlier on (around mile 25) because I got really sick of the sweet chomps. I also should have eaten some protein in the later stages of the race.

My goal for this race was to finish in about 10 hours which would require a 12:00 average pace. My plan was to take it easy for the first 25 miles but I still ended up pushing a little in the first half. I realized that a 13:00 average pace for the first 25 miles would require me to run 11:00 miles for the last 25 miles and that was asking a lot. So I tried to run "comfortably hard" - not pushing too much but just enough to get me a bit under a 12:00 average pace at the halfway point.

As a result the last 15 miles were really tough. I had passed about 5 people after the turnaround at mile 25 but one of them caught up with me and passed me during this rough stretch. But for the most part I was able to keep going hard despite the pain and in the end met my goal of finishing in about 10 hours. My eating was pretty good (stomach was great overall) but for the last 7 miles I could not eat anymore Chomps. I relied on HEED to get me to the finish which was not quite enough. I also took the iPod off shuffle and put on Hillsong United's latest album Zion which really improved my mental state. For me, listening to music while running is either about distracting me when it gets boring or improving my mental state when negativity starts to creep in. I rarely start out a run listening to music because I love the stillness and sounds of the trail but after I've been out there several hours it can really help me complete the goal.

A few miles from the finish a guy passed me but I stuck with him and ended up passing him again. He looked really strong when he passed me so I told him so and he said "it comes and goes" which was both true and encouraging as it reminded me that the low point I was enduring at that moment wouldn't last much longer. As I started to feel better and ran by him by I told him I was sure he'd catch me again to encourage him and then I ran hard to ensure that didn't happen. It didn't happen. I never looked back so I had no idea where he was but I pretended he was hot on my heels. That little mind game worked well to get me to the finish. I finished in 10:07, good enough for 25th out of 68 starters / 58 finishers.

At the finish Kelly was there with Maddy. Kathy was also there (she had driven Kelly's car so Kelly could drive me home in my car). It was so awesome to see them. When the going gets tough, knowing they are waiting for me at the finish really keeps be moving. Fellow Greenbush Trail Runner Nic was there as well. He had finished his race (the 50K) several hours before, taking 3rd place in a thrilling come from behind last moment win. Can't wait to read his report. Tony (also a GTR) finished the 50K in a very good time as well and he did it barefoot!

The race went well and I was happy with the time. It's great to challenge yourself and then achieve your goal. That's half of the reason I do this. The other reason is to enjoy time out on the trail with Jeff. If there's one thing that was missing from the day it was him not being able to be out there but I look forward to our next adventure together. We're probably going to do a 100 miler next year. Most likely Kettle. It will be incredible I'm sure.

Kelly had taped notes with words of encouragement and Scripture to my gels and chomps. These really lifted my spirits.

Approaching the finish.

Done. That clock was for the 50K which started an hour later.

No comments:

Post a Comment